1. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was born Aug. 26, 1910, in Macedonia to a financially comfortable Albanian family (they owned two houses, one of which they lived in). Her father died when she was 8, ending her family’s financial security.
2. Agnes was fascinated with missionaries from an early age, and by 12 she knew that she would commit herself to a religious vocation.
3. When she was 18, Agnes left home and joined the Sisters of Loreto in Rathfarnham, Ireland.
4. Although she lived to be 87, she never saw her mother or sister again after the day she left for Ireland.
5. After a year learning English in Ireland, Agnes transferred to the Sisters of Loreto convent in Darjeeling, India.